Am I a Candidate for Braces?
If you experience any of the following, you can benefit from having orthodontics:
- Crooked Teeth- Having crooked teeth can strain your jaw and interfere with chewing while making proper hygiene difficult to maintain.
- Crowded Teeth- This can cause an abnormal bite or deformed facial appearance.
- Overbite- This occurs when the upper teeth lay over the bottom teeth.
- Underbite- This occurs when the lower teeth pop out beyond the upper teeth.
- Crossbite- This occurs when a tooth (or several) is closer to the tongue or cheek than the same tooth on the opposite arch.
- Irregular Spacing- Teeth are spaced unevenly.
- Jaw Misalignment- This occurs when there is an uneven jaw relationship.
Braces Procedure Overview
After your consultation with your dentist, Dr. Preziosi, to determine if you are a candidate for braces, he will begin to prepare your teeth. Braces involve cementing metal braces to the front of teeth, connected to one another by wires. The wires are responsible for slowly moving your teeth into the desired position. Your orthodontist, Dr. Preziosi, will regularly tighten your braces to achieve best results.
Benefits of Orthodontics
There are many benefits to completing an orthodontic treatment with your orthodontist in Clark, NJ. Not only will your teeth be straight and perfect but you have an increase in confidence. In addition to the boost in confidence, you will experience many health benefits. Orthodontic treatment can prevent patients from painful problems like teeth grinding or TMJ caused from misaligned teeth. Braces also improve your dental health by preventing problems like periodontal disease from arising. A straighter and aligned smile makes it easier to brush and floss teeth properly.
Caring for Braces
If you do not properly care for your teeth during orthodontic treatment, you can develop cavities, tooth decay or even periodontal disease. To ensure your teeth stay healthy during your treatment, it’s important that you see your dentist, Dr. Preziosi, regularly for both your braces treatment as well as general dentistry for a cleaning and exam. In addition to keeping up with regular brushing and flossing, you will need to avoid certain foods in order to prevent brackets and wires from breaking. This includes any chewy candy like caramel, corn on the cob and apples.
Contact Our Orthodontist in Clark, NJ Today!
If you are in need of orthodontic treatment or wish for a straighter smile, contact Dr. Preziosi Jr. D.M.D. today for a complete range of general and family dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, and restorative dentistry. He can help you achieve the perfect smile with any procedures necessary. Contact us by calling 908-654-7100 or by filling out our online contact form on our Contact Us page.